Resources for Grandparents & Other Kinship Caregivers
Services & Educational Materials
- Print a copy of the GRG Project services guide.
- Generations United has developed the Fact Sheet, Grand Resources: A Fact Sheet for Grandparent and Relative Caregivers to Help Access Support through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program. Click here to download this informative guide about this very valuable program. Learn more about Generations United on their website.
- Download this 48-page guide to talking with children with incarcerated parents: Family Members Behind Bars: Difficult Questions Children Ask...And How to Answer Them. This "toolkit" of information and resources was created in 2006 by MAFTI, the Montana Alliance of Families Touched by Incarceration, to help families and children navigate through this difficult time in their lives.
- Generations United has developed Grand Resources: A Grandparent’s and Other Relative’s Guide to Raising Children with Disabilities and a companion resource directory. Both of these documents can be found on the Generations United website. Click here to download your copies of these valuable resources.
Newsletters and MontGuides
- See all the newsletter back issues here.
- Print the MSU Extension MontGuide, "Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Parenting the Next Generation"
- Print the MSU Extension MontGuide, "Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: What to Do the Second Time Around" REVISED 2/2016!
- Print the MSU Extension MontGuide, "Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Navigating Adolescence"
- See all the Family & Human Development MontGuides here.
Links to State & National Resources
Resources for Grandparents:
- AARP created a short 2 ½ minute video on the Generations United GrandRally. The video features interviews with Grandfamilies National Partnership members Pat Owens and Sharon Olson, and includes footage of several speakers during the rally. See this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=JQVxGq2dIPc&feature=uploademail
- eXtension Grandparents Raising Grandchildren - Highlights concerns and presents solutions for grandparents and other relatives raising children including; inter-generational communication, misbehavior, and mental health.
- Through the Eyes of a Child: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren fact sheet series - Series of fact sheets tailored specifically for grandparents raising young children with focuses on family relationships and child development developed by specialists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Wisconsin-Extension.
- AARP (American Association of Retired Persons)
AARP Grandfamilies Guide- AARP presents the basic things you need to know and resources available to you if you are just starting to care for a grandchild.
- AARP Grandfamilies Resources - This resource from AARP lists the public and private assistance available to you as a grandparent or other relative raising grandchildren.
- Generations United - The mission of Generations United is to improve lives of children, youth and older adults through inter-generational collaboration, public policies and programs for the benefit of all. Follow this link for information specifically tailored to grand-families: http://www.gu.org/OURWORK/Grandfamilies.aspx
- CYFERnet - provides interactive tools, lessons, and resources to enhance and support positive development of children, youth, and families.
- The Brookdale Foundation of New York The Brookdale Foundation works to advance the fields of geriatrics and gerontology with the mission to improve the lives of senior citizens not only in New York but around the world.
- Helpguide.org - Grandparent's Rights When Raising Grandchildren This help guide will provide you with what you need to know about building strong relationships with your grandchildren and supporting their healthy development, as well as information about mental, emotional, and social health.
- Montana Lifespan Respite Coalition - Respite Voucher Program The mission of the Montana Lifespan Respite Coalition is to establish a statewide coordinated system of easily accessible, quality and affordable respite care services for Montana’s family caregivers or individuals regardless of special needs.
- MT Department of Public Health & Human Services - Senior & Long Term Care This division manages a wide variety of programs and services to advocate and promote dignity and independence for older Montanans and Montanans with disabilities. By following this link you can find resources on ways to manage money, find housing options, living healthy, and staying independent!
- Buy Eat Live Better - MSU Nutrition Education Programs Find information about how to buy, eat, and live better. Resources through this website include state & local contacts for the SNAP-Ed and EFNEP programs as well as MyPlate guidelines, nutrition videos, and much more!
- Montana Judicial Branch - Laws by Topic This page provides links to legal information and resources on a variety of topics such as; adoption, parenting plans, estate planning, trusts, etc. In addition to, information about different local court rules.
- Grandfamilies.org - Kincare Legal Matters The Grandfamilies State Law and Policy Resource center serves as a national legal resource providing support of Grandfamilies within and outside of the child welfare system. Here you can find a searchable database of laws and legislation, relevant resources and publications, and technical assistance.
- Montana Judicial Branch - Montana Indian Law
- Montana Judicial Branch - Representing Yourself in Court This page will provide you the information you need to understand your legal rights and responsibilities to help you resolve legal problems if you cannot afford or choose not to hire an attorney. Though they cannot provide legal advice, they can provide legal information in the forms of brochures, frequently asked questions, county resource guides and many other resources to help you help yourself.
- Montana Judicial Branch - Guardianship of a Minor Information and Forms
- Montana Judicial Branch - Montana Power of Attorney for Care, Custody or Property of a Minor Child
- Caretaker Relative's Educational Authorization Affidavit
- Caretaker Relative's Medical Authorization Affidavit
- Grandparent Grandchild Contact - Montana Code Annotated
Disabilities and Mental Health Resources:
- Disability Rights Montana The mission of Disability Rights Montana is to protect and advocate for the human, legal, and civil rights of Montanans with disabilities and to advance dignity, equality, and self-determination.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness, Montana NAMI Montana supports, educates, and advocates for Montanans with severe mental illnesses and their families.
Resources for Grandchildren:
- Montana Youth Challenge Academy The Montana Youth Challenge Academy Assists at-risk Montana youth to develop skills and abilities necessary to become productive citizens through focusing upon their physical, emotional, and educational needs in a highly structured, quasi-military environment.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Big Brothers Big Sisters provides children facing adversity with strong and enduring professionally supported 1-to-1 relationships with an adult mentor. Follow this link to learn more about what they do or how to find a match for your grandchild.
- Children's Defense Fund The Children’s Defense fund is a non-profit child advocacy organization that works to champion policies and programs to lift children out of poverty, protect them from abuse, and ensure them access to healthcare, education, etc.
- Childcare Resource and Referral Agencies This website provides a variety of options and resources available to you for different child care agencies and centers in your area.
- Early Childhood Services Bureau The programs and services provided through the Early Childhood Services Bureau are focused on improving the quality, affordability and accessibility of early care and education of young children and their families in Montana. A few programs they provide include the Healthy MT Teen Parent Program, Best Beginnings Child Care, and Child & Adult Care Food Program.
- Montana Alliance for Families Touched by Incarceration A caregiver’s guide to Montana’s Criminal Justice System- from arrest to release. This guide has helpful information and resources if you find yourself the caregiver of a child whose family member has been touched by incarceration and answers to the difficult questions they may ask.